Why do meetings fail?
Meetings fail because of seven common problems:
- Held when not needed
- Held when more efficient alternatives exist
- Held without an agenda
- Doesn’t stick to the agenda when an agenda is offered
- Includes content already available or addressed elsewhere
- Includes people not needed in the meeting
- Runs longer than absolutely needed.
Fix this by simply doing the opposite:
- Do not hold a meeting when it is not needed
- Do not hold a meeting when more efficient alternatives exist
- Do not hold a meeting without an agenda
- Do not ignore the agenda (Stick to the agenda)
- Do not repeat content already available or addressed elsewhere
- Do not include unneeded people in the meeting
- Do not carry on a meeting one minute more than necessary.